On May 25, 1898, the Board of Supervisors for the Town of Florence held a special meeting to consider the purchase of an engine and dynamo to provide electricity to the town. On the following day, the Board passed a motion to purchase a Westinghouse Engine Company Electrical Plant and Engine. In July, 1898 the dynamo was set up in the engine house (located in the previous Utility building's basement *pictured right) and electric service began. So with this action, the journey started; to first serve the community with electricity, then water, sewer, and eventually natural gas in 1992.
While a lot has changed, the focus of Florence Utilities has not.